SEN (Local Offer)

Home / Monkwearmouth Academy / SEN (Local Offer)
All schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

• Communication and Interaction.
• Cognition and Learning.
• Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
• Sensory and/or Physical.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Authority (LA) Local Offer The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the ‘Local Offer’.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

The Special Education Needs Information Report Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.

Question 1 – Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

A. Individual Subject Staff
B. Heads of Year and Learning Support Team
Responsible for:
Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo/Inclusion Manager) know as necessary.
Writing Pupil Progress Targets, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.
•Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENDCo : Acting SENCo Designate: Miss Hawkins
Responsible for:
• Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or
disabilities (SEND)
• Ensuring that you are
i) involved in supporting your child’s learning
ii) invited to be involved in reviewing how they are doing.
• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Executive Headteacher : Mr Wilkinson
Responsible for:
• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for students with SEND.
• The Head of School must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor : Mrs P Urwin
Responsible for:
• Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.

School contact telephone number : 0191 553 5555

Question 2 – What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).
For your child this would mean:
• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class.
• That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
• Specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn.
• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work intervention which may be:
• Run in the classroom or outside.
• Run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g .Speech and Language therapy
SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)
This means they have been identified by the SENDCo /Inclusion Manager/ class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:
Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:
You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or an Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child’s needs be met.

c) Specified Individual support
This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.
This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.
This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:
• Local Authority Central Services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service

For your child this would mean:
•The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

•After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

•After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
•The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies need to be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

•The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Question 3 – How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

• If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to the Form Tutor initially.
• If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).
• The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

Question 4 – How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will contact you or set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:
• listen to any concerns you may have
• plan any additional support your child may need
• discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

Question 5 – How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget, received from Sunderland LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
• The Executive Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
• The Executive Headteacher and the Acting SENDCo Designate discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
◦ the children getting extra support already
◦ the children needing extra support
◦ the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
◦ the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be

Question 6 – Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

School provision
• Assistant Head (Disadvantaged + SEN)
• Pastoral Director
• Head of Sixth Form
• Heads of Year
• Faculty Leaders
• Subject Leaders
• Acting SENDCo Designate
• Inclusion Officer
• Senior Learning Support Assistants
• Learning Support Assistants
Local Authority Provision delivered in school
• Autism Outreach Service
• Educational Psychology Service
• Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
• Parent Partnership Service
• Behaviour Intervention Team
• Language and Learning Team

Health Provision delivered in school
• Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
• School Nurse
• Occupational Therapy
• Physiotherapy

Question 7 – How are the teachers in school helped to work with children a SEND and what training do they have?

The Acting SENDCO’S Designate job is to support staff in planning for children with SEND.
• The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties.
• Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

Question 8 – How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Subject Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
• Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

Question 9 – How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
• His/her progress is reviewed formally every term.
• Children may have an IEP / personal targets which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
• The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.

Question 10 – What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?

Subject teachers is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
• Heads of Year, the Inclusion Officer and Acting SENDCo Designate are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

• Personal Progress Targets/IEP’s may be reviewed with your involvement.
• Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
• A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Question 11 – How is Monwearmouth Academy accessible to students with SEND?

The building is accessible to all students. Accepting there may be some limitations with the upper floors, the school will endeavour to make the necessary adjustments to enable access for all students.
• We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
• After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
• Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

Question 12 – How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
If your child is moving child to another school:
• We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
• We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

In Year 6:
• The SENDCo from the Primary School will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCO of the secondary school.
• Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
• Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in their school.

Question 13 – What emotional and social development support we have for a child with a SEND?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Development needs, that may require support in school.

• The Emotional Health and Well being of all our students is very important to us.
• We have a robust Child Protection Policy in place, we follow National and Local Authority Guidelines.
• We have a robust Behaviour Policy in place.
• The Assistant Head, Heads of Year, Acting SENDCo Designate and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils.
• We are an Anti-bullying school.
• We have a Lunchtime ‘Safe Haven Zone’ for students who require extra support.
• We have a member of staff within the Pastoral Team who work with students on an individual basis to support their Emotional Health and Well being, as appropriate.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.